View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Chuckie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Have gun, will travel
Default Letters of recommendation?

So, I'm sitting here in TAP class (Transition Assistance Program, mandated by Big Blue for separating service members) and our presenter is saying that letters of recommendation aren't really needed or wanted by employers any more. She makes the good point that they quickly become dated and it's better just to have the contact info for the employer to use as references.

Now, I know that internal recommendations are invaluable in getting on with the airlines, but what about external ones? I haven't actually applied yet (waiting on my ATP) and I haven't approached my "home run hitters" about writing a letter for me yet. For the successful airline guys here, could you write a few tidbits about how you handled this side of the application process? Did you limit your rec sources from one airline to just that airline, or did they write you a generic letter that you used at all of them? How many did you get? Did any of you have a less-than-stellar commander that you'd rather not get a letter from, and how did you handle that?

/sits here bored in class. Thank goodness for Wi-Fi!