Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Crazy Canuck
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Egg320 View Post
Thanks SquallRider. I guess it all comes down to bases as well. I initially was keen on IAH but no 175īs there.

700 and 900 only at IAH which is a blessing I guess as well. At the end of the day Im not really that fussed on which aircraft I fly especially when it comes to lifestyle.

I mean getting the base of your choosing, driving to work, no commuting etc surely have to be worth it even if it means getting an aircraft that might no be as nice.

Also the Delta benefits things is a big deal so looks like you just talked me into a CRJ. At the end of the day there probably is not that much difference between the aircraft.

Of course over the next 2 years there will probably also be a lot of movement to ERJ and MRJ with regards to fleet upgrade and so forth.
Hey Egg,

Just putting my 2 cents in here...take the CRJ to start! Here's why I recommend it:

-First and foremost if you want IAH this is your bird. Also, it's all 700/900 flying. I am junior but have managed to pickup/trade for a large portion of 700/900 trips. This plane is awesome! It's quirky sure, but it flies like a real jet and is, IMO, the nicest plane I've ever flown.

-If you want to bid to 175 later you can. And you will have the wealth/knowledge/experience and the CRJ type rating. It is something you'll treasure for your career (minus the pay that goes with it, but that's another matter).

-Seniority. This is huge. I would guess MOST 175 new hires can expect to be on reserve for a very long time. If we get Delta benefits on the 175 you will get pushed down even further.

I personally would bid about 55% in ORD, whereas I bid about 75% on the CRJ. Eventually I will make the move, but patience is key! Don't rush it and enjoy the stage of your career you're in. You won't go wrong!

Good luck, and welcome to SkyWest!