View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 AM
Egg320
Jet Jockey Junkie

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: F.O.

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Hey Egg,

Just putting my 2 cents in here...take the CRJ to start! Here's why I recommend it:

-First and foremost if you want IAH this is your bird. Also, it's all 700/900 flying. I am junior but have managed to pickup/trade for a large portion of 700/900 trips. This plane is awesome! It's quirky sure, but it flies like a real jet and is, IMO, the nicest plane I've ever flown.

-If you want to bid to 175 later you can. And you will have the wealth/knowledge/experience and the CRJ type rating. It is something you'll treasure for your career (minus the pay that goes with it, but that's another matter).

-Seniority. This is huge. I would guess MOST 175 new hires can expect to be on reserve for a very long time. If we get Delta benefits on the 175 you will get pushed down even further.

I personally would bid about 55% in ORD, whereas I bid about 75% on the CRJ. Eventually I will make the move, but patience is key! Don't rush it and enjoy the stage of your career you're in. You won't go wrong!

Good luck, and welcome to SkyWest!
Another question, why don't 175 pilots get Delta benefits anyway and how long or how likely is they eventually will?