View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 05:17 AM
bambi

I am living in a townhouse at Sai Kung near Clearwater Bay. I pay about HKD45,000 per month for rent which is paid for by CX so I don't have to worry about it. It is an area with a good mix of expat and some locals. Many good western resturants, asian food like indian and thai and many local seafood resturant in the area also. Very popular on the weekends where expat from other area will come here for a drink and it is much easier to get into the city compare to Discovery Bay. DB is a very over price and over rated area to live in, if you live in DB you are pretty much living within your own little world of expats that is away from the city where everything is over priced because they know you can afford it. If you live in DB, you won't feels like you are living in Hong Kong, I personally knew a few friends who live in DB when they first moved to Hong Kong and decided to move elsewhere because they are sick of the people who lives there. Anyway, the only disadvantage for me in living in Sai Kung is that I am a little bit farther away from the airport but you can just take a taxi to work, it won't cost you too much since you only work 4 times a month anyway. You can get all the Western food in Sai Kung at a much more reasonable price. This is the good thing about Hong Kong is that when you first move there, you will get rip off because you don't know where to go shopping. You will be shopping at Pacific Place or IFC mall where everything sold is design for expat or the very rich local businessman and their wives. But once you start exploring the city, you will discover that many of the daily essential items can be brought at a very cheap and reasonable price. So I guess at first when you first move to Hong Kong things could get quite expensive. Just ask any co-workers, I am sure most of them are more then happy to show you where to get the best deals on different things. Coming from my experience after living in Hong Kong for a while now, things is cheaper here then the US and many other places in the world for that matter.