View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 PM
DMEarc
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 737 Left

Originally Posted by UnlimitedAkro View Post
I've have heard this same question from other friends...

Airlines can access all FAA documents (and they will), and if you have ever received a PINK slip for failing and "FAA administered checkride", it will show up on your record. If an airline asks you if you have ever failed a checkride, that is exactly what they mean. Dont even bring up stage checks unless they bring it up.

Now, there are a few airlines that ask in interviews if you have ever failed a stage check OR checkride. It is my understanding that airlines can not access stage check failures at all. But if I were you, and they question said "stage check" I would be honest about it.

More importantly, be sure you end your story with a good note at the end... The airlines want to hire someone they can train. If they only hired people who never failed checkrides, they would be having quite a rough time right now...

So make sure you own up to (what was hopefully just) a small mistake you made to fail, and what you learned from it and how it made you a better pilot.

Taking a negative question in an interview and turning it into a positive story is an effective way to make yourself look really good...

Good luck to you.
Be careful about this. Many many many people, including the FAA have told me that airlines CANNOT access this information. They CAN access 121/135 training records, but not generalized individual ratings information.