Gets Weekends Off
Caveman
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2006
  • Position
    American Airlines Brake Pad Replacement Technician
Quote: Just trying to provide some insight, so don't get all upset, but realize what you're getting into and really make sure you want to come here.

The last several classes we've had, the IOE completion rate has been less than 50% of those that started. Whether they quit, were fired, were let go during training, whatever, that should get your attention. The two most recent classes...the first was supposed to have 6 start, only 4 showed and is now down to 2. The latest class only had 4 out of 6 show and I'm not sure of the current retention rate with that one...

Are you coming here to build the "so greatly valued" heavy international time? If so may I offer you some clarity. No one here has been hired by any of the majors without either 1) knowing someone who is already at that company and who is probably pretty high up the food chain or 2) going to a job fair. I've spoke with many RJ/commuter drivers who are getting calls without having either. Frankly, if your goal is to get hired by a major you are better off staying where you're at as it appears flying pax and getting more landing count for a lot of what they are looking for.

Are you coming here to fly the Whale? If so, don't. It's an airplane...seriously that whole deal is highly overrated. It's also a pretty much worthless type that will get you hired nowhere but might be worth a free beer somewhere if you can find someone who cares.

Oh and I could keep going, but one last thing. If you come here and you are junior you could easily do a back to back which means 34 days gone from home. And during IOE don't make a peep about being out for 20+ days while scheduling handles your training as inefficiently as possible or you'll be fired.

I just want to caution anyone who wants to come here to seriously look at the reason you "think" you would want to work here, seriously re-evaluate and then make an educated decision. If you're on the street and there's nothing else fine, but if you are working somewhere flying regularly, holding some seniority and actually having some time at home or even just in the US I'd reconsider.

Just my $.02 so take it for what it's worth, which is less than that.

GNH
Appreciate your candor in this post.