View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Flyer00
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: CL604

#1, I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything. Like I said, if you guys don't feel you need the protection...don't vote for ALPA. I could care less if you are ALPA or not, just help raise the bar.

#2, You can not tell me that skywest hasn't hired anyone under those mins. There are people on this board who will attest to it, as they have done it. Maybe now it can be covered up by people from the bottom of ASA's list transferring over because of losing their flying, and being replaced by 500 hour pilots at ASA...but ASA is owned now by skywest...so that means that skywest is hiring 500 hour pilots. Technicality, maybe, but its the truth. Either way, like I said, it was tongue-in-cheek humor directed more at the entire industry.

#3, All other ALPA/Teamster carriers have work rules, we all have rigs and guarantees (although some might be better than others), so you can throw that comment out. But, your comment is actually helping support my point...other ALPA carriers do NOW have worse work rules and pay rates than they had in the past. That was caused by the downward pressure of regionals undercutting other regionals, pilots selling out so they could get growth and fast upgrades. That brought down all the ALPA carriers who helped make the gains that everyone else reaped. Skywest might be in the top 10-20% right now, but what are they doing to try and take it higher? Why accept where its at now?

I hope your bonuses add up to a lot, an $8/hr difference (skywest-RAH) based on 75hr guarantee for the month equals roughly $7200/yr. Does everyone get the same bonus? Is it more than $7200? If it were a bonus, wouldn't you be better rewarded for your hard work to have that on top of your much better bottom line wage? What's going to happen to your bonus if the stock tanks? Bottom line...did Southwest sell out their pay rates just because they have profit sharing and bonuses??

Lastly, this is nothing personal or directed at only skywest. This thread is a "skywest" thread, and thus my attention is directed at skywest. Trust my, I have similar feelings about other carriers ALPA, Teamster, or whatever. As for Mesa, they at least can say they sold out to stop an alter ego, what can skywest say they sold out for? Growth based on picking up the flying that was taken away from other ALPA carriers who did try to stand up for what was right?

Last edited by Flyer00; 07-01-2007 at 11:29 AM.