Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM
yimke
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: PNF

Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
Agree that C-12 and helo time are better than no military time. Don't know what that guy is smoking. Would something like KC-135s or C-17s look better? Maybe. But military flight school is military flight school. If it came down to you or a civilian flight instructor, they're going to take you all other things being equal. Priority one should be to get that degree ASAP. Majors won't look at you without it.
135's and C-17 do look better. That is what the heavy aircraft check-box is for. I never said C-12 and helo time are insignificant, but they will score lower than a C-130, due to the large aircraft category. There are some helo pilots that have been hired, but it is few and far between. Go look at the who's been hired thread and accomplish everything you physically can to be on that list.

Absolutely, they would take a military trained pilot over a civilian pilot if everything else was equal, but a civ trained pilot usually doesn't fly a C-12 or helo. He is competing against the hundreds of captain's who have tons of TPIC with 4 year degrees, etc.

I am just giving the guy advice, my word is not the gospel. There is more than one way to make it. Evaluate everyone's advice, because diversity gives you mixed opinions.