View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 04:05 PM
MusicPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Driving a Bus for Recreational Pleasure.

Originally Posted by NextFlightHome View Post
Several of my co-workers and I have written rec letters for qualified pilots who would fit in very well here. Not a single person we've written a letter of rec for has received a phone call.
Letters do not necessarily help (I didn't have one) job fairs do help. Other than that, their hiring practices are a mystery.

------------------------------------------------------

Separate issue: Union... I'm on the fence. Totally 100% undecided.

Cons: I have a very bitter taste in my mouth from being a regional carrier with ALPA for a long time. In addition, this is the same union that helped lobby with Delta and others to try to stop VX from every getting off the ground. Furthermore, the bulk of ALPA's funds come from legacy carriers who COMPETE with us. Again, I'd find myself working with a union who has a huge conflict of interest. 2% of my salary goes out the window (before 401k funds) just as I'm starting to make some real money. I also love our culture here at VX, if ALPA steps in, things are going to go downhill quickly. No raises for years (a contract will not come quickly) and I've seen how unions can instill a sense of entitlement/righteousness with the pilot group. United's letter is valid, however, I don't want their culture/workplace.

Pros: Safety nets... insurance, job protection (from undue discipline), bargaining power. Also fixing parts of our work rules that have needed fixing for a long time but never have been. (DHD pay, duty rigs, other types of soft credit, better reserve rules, etc...)

I have not been online for very long either which doesn't help. I've been hosed a few times, dealt with some crap, but I've also been having a great time! Love the crews, destinations, hotels, airplanes, etc... I literally go back and forth on my decision sometimes within minutes.

I have not voted yet and will probably wait until the last minute... If I had to vote right here, right now, I'd have no idea how to vote

Maybe you should reach out to a few of the VX pilots that've trek down that long road of hopefulness (I think it turns into hopeless).