Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 PM
On Autopilot
West Coast livin

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Benwhaa View Post
Hi all,

I have been out of the airline industry for over 10yrs. and based on current events have decided to jump back in. When I left the industry in 2004, I had a good feel for most of the regionals, who to work for who not to based on my career goals etc..., but things have somewhat changed and I'm at a loss to accurately evaluate a regional, getting there but need more input, hence this post.

I knew the Mesa of old (prior 2003) and would like to know about the current Mesa 2014/15 and some predictions of where they might be headed (I know, the industry is crazy right now, but any predictions would be appreciated)....

Background.
Without going into too much detail..
+5500 hrs, both military and civillian (army-helicopter and c-12 time), prior 121, +/- 1500hrs (about 400s 121 PIC), corporate, total FW +/-3000hrs.
still working on degree.

Situation
Live in PHX, would like to be based in domicile...willing to commute for awhile to wait out time to get PHX, don't want to commute indefinitely 1-2-3yrs etc.. However I will commute in order to get current 121 time/experience to maybe hire on with a major/legacy.

I did the phone interview with Mesa, and got the offer, 900's.

Would like to know what awaits me from class date through the next year, anyones experiences with this etc...

Told by interviewer...
PHX is 6-8 months out for me to hold...
Upgrade time 1.5yrs, but conservatively, 2yrs. (mentioned that upgrade is now not only based on seniority, but also CA recommends???)
DFW or IAH as a domicile until PHX...

My fears/concerns...
Heard mention that all 900's are out of DFW, 700's are the one that are based in PHX, so actually no PHX for me?
Reduced lines in PHX this month, will that stay or just a blip?
Yes would like to upgrade quickly, $$$ and moving on to Major/Legacy, but is that upgrade time really happening.

Last but not least, the training department and climate... I don't plan on failing out of a program, never have, but sometimes I've seen certain personalities force people out in a bad way, in other words personality conflicts, how is the training staff, and curriculum at Mesa? in other words do they throw a bunch of pilots into the training and see what comes out the other end? 50% 60% 70%????

Thanks for any feedback...
Come prepared make your training events successful. Mesa does need pilots but the are not going to give anyone the keys to a jet. Honestly you must put in the effort. Know your flows, callouts, limitations and profiles. Take the training seriously, Mesa is going to give you every oppurtunity to pass, but you must work for it. The biggest inhibitor for success here is you.
The training department here is world class, the people are held accountable for thier actions and I have witnessed 1 guy with some issues who was here for upgrade do a carpet dance for an issue.

The personalities in the training department are there for your success. No one that I know of is setting folks up to fail or doing
something to try and get back at someone, unless your a douche, anal orifice, or just a bad personality type. If that is the case, you will get asked to leave, you will know the reason also. That happened to a guy some time back. But as far as some of the stuff that other regionals do while in training to try and set you up to fail- Nope.
If, and that is a mighty big IF, Mesa has an open door policy but you would follow the chain, I have witnessed 1 guy who had some training issues but it was because of the way the instructor and him interacted. He was given a new instructor and was sucessful in making it to the line.
I think you will like coming here, but again do what it take to make your way a success. Some may say Mesa just babies you along, the training is joke, or other negative things. I suggest you come and find out for yourself and make your own conclusion. You -I believe will not be disappointed.
Now the good stuff, the upgrade time is happening, down now to 5 months (on the CRJ) A little longer on the E-jet. (Straight from J.O.) With your time, (prior 121) You should be able to bid for a Captain slot, check into that.

Close to a T.A. but I don't know the deets yet. PHX is in flux. Currently shrinking, but may grow again. If you come aboard expect DFW or IAD. Can't say if you would get PHX, maybe later but highly doubtful now.(CRJ side). I honestly can't say. In DFW it is projected that new hires will be able to hold a line right out of training VERY soon.

In conclusion, you will be a well prepared competent pilot ready to execute your duties in a safe professional environment. You will have what you need to prepare yourself for those task. How you apply them, is up to you. Remember a farmer who expects a crop but does not put his hand to the plow has nothing to reap for his reward. May you come prepared positive attitude and ready to work.
Take Care.

Last edited by On Autopilot; 05-20-2015 at 09:34 PM.