View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 08:43 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by disillusioned View Post
Finishing my airline apps, and had a question about school. Right out of high school and during high school, I took a couple college courses. But then I was in a different career and wasn't in a program. 9 years later when I changed my degree and went back to school, I was doing instructing while finishing my degree and building hours. I slowed my classes down at the end because I didn't want to graduate and have to start repaying my student loans before I had enough hours to get on with a regional.

So how big of a deal is it that my degree shows 13 years to complete since I'm not a doctor? Where is the best place to explain what happened and will it hurt my "score" when rating my application? Also, my driving record only goes back 8 years. I know I had a fender bender in my early 20's but it is not showing. Do I just guess on the dates or not include it since it is not on the official record?
The important thing to remember about the weights and points and all that is to keep them in perspective. If "longer than 4 years" takes away points, it usually doesn't take away enough to not hire someone unless there are (usually several) other reasons not to hire them. And some things add points. Working your way through school and being a self starter are huge with most HR departments. DL's definately values that. 4 years at a party school on daddy's dime while not working isn't any better than 4+ working your way through on your own paying your own way working full time and financing your own flight training.

Get with a professional interview prep company. This is exactly the type of stuff they can help put on a T for you to not only mitigate the negatives but to absolutely knock it out of the park when asked. And you will be asked.