Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
skypilot35
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: It's hot out here.

Originally Posted by Squallrider View Post
Calm down people, it's 11 aircraft which hardly even registers on the scale with a company as big as Skywest, personally I think it's a good thing, we are short staffed and more crj qualified people on the line will relieve some stress this summer on west coast. This flying was probably unprofitable as it was flying to "get our foot in the door" with U.S. air/ American now that the door hasn't opened as we thought we won't do the flying below market price. The plan seems to be for compass operate 175 on west coast with Mesa doing Phoenix until Piedmont can get their 50 seater program up running
I think NVUS made a good point regarding the timeframe, but I also think you are on the right track.

A lot of pilots are being hired.
Most of the guys / gals I know are being awarded 85 to 100 hours of flying per month with about 9 days off. Losing some airplanes, gaining pilots (3500+) will hopefully result in an improved QOL.

We currently have 20? E-175s with UAL. Seems the staffing ratio is 1:7 (one airplane: seven crews). We are supposed start E175 service (7 aircraft) with AS soon. We still have an additional 40? E175 slots pending (no contract for them).

I do not believe the loss of 12 aircraft will affect Skywest as a whole, but there may be some domicile tightening, although the company has not historically forced a domicile change.

Should be interesting.
Feel free to correct the numbers where necessary.