Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 05:10 PM
USMCFDX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post

Do a bit of reading and research if you have not already. It is absolutely true, marketed in very similar manner to relatively inexperienced pilots with similar results. I considered buying one - Cirruses are very affordable for some professional demographics, almost analogous to the Bonanzas back in the day. Fatal accident rate is significantly higher than Cessna or lower wing-loading birds, and has a very high loss of control + stall/spin accident rate.

[/IMG]
Doc you should do a little research it is not true and here is some proof. I will make it easy for you here is a cut and paste from the Cirrus Owners Website. I think you can access the Safety tab as a nonmember. Yes I am a Cirrus owner.

Cirrus Fatal Accident Rate
Because Cirrus Design collaborates with COPA, we have access to their compilation of fleet flying hours. This enables COPA to calculate the following fatal accident rates.*

Past 36 months: 0.74
We use a 3-year average because, with a modest fleet size of 5,800 airplanes flying about 1,000,000 hours per year, the accident rate varies substantially with only a few accidents. By contrast, the GA fleet contains 200,000 airplanes flying about 20,000,000 hours per year, or about 35 times more aircraft flying about 20 times more hours.

In the past 36 months, there have been 20 fatal accidents and approximately 2,700,000 flying hours for a rate of 0.74 fatal accident per 100,000 hours of flying time.

Past 12 months: 0.32
In the past 12 months, there have been 3 accidents in approximately 950,000 flight hours for a rate of 0.32 fatal accidents per 100,000 hours.

GA fleet: 1.05 overall, 2.38 for Personal & Business flying
We compare the Cirrus fatal accident rate to the overall general aviation rate for non-commercial fixed-wing aircraft of 1.05 for 2013 (ref NTSB aviation safety statistics).

https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/sa...ent-rates.aspx