Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 02:20 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Cirrus's official FAA-approved spin recovery procedure is to deploy the ballistic chute. Sorry, but that's just shady.
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
I'd agree. Especially in the sense that it's probably not the first plane you should learn on.
Yes. Somehow they convinced FAA that deployment of chute is a "spin recovery process."

According to the SR-22 Pilot's Operating Handbook:

"The SR22 is not approved for spins, and has not been tested or certified for spin recovery characteristics. The only approved and demonstrated method of spin recovery is activation of the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (See CAPS Deployment, this section). Because of this, if the aircraft 'departs controlled flight,' the CAPS must be deployed.
Do not waste time and altitude trying to recover from a spiral/ spin before activating CAPS."

Not exactly a pilot's plane. It is viewed as a form of luxury transport for the well-heeled, as was the Bonanza in the 1960's. Fatal accident rate significantly higher than average. I'm not saying it can't be safely flown in the right fashion, but it should be flown in such a fashion - minimizing maneuvering and risk, and I wouldn't want to fly one slowly.