View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Probe
Don't say Guppy

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: Guppy driver

Originally Posted by B752 View Post
Foreign flight crew members holding CAAC A320/B737/B747/B757/B767 and B777 license are entitled to apply A330 or B787 transition training (TT) program after reports to airline, depends on company aircraft introduction plan, production need and availability of transition training slots. TT program is limited to same aircraft series.

Any qualified A320 candidates who meet the Hainan Airlines requirements listed below and not holding CAAC ATPL license are entitled to apply A330 TT program after reports to airline, depends on company aircraft introduction plan, production need and availability of transition training slots.

Any qualified B737 candidates meet the Hainan Airlines requirements meeting requirments listed and not holding CAAC ATPL license should complete one year as B737 captain before he/she applies for B787 TT program.

Any qualified B747/B757/B767 and B777 candidates who meet the Hainan Airlines requirements of Appendix 1 and not holding CAAC ATPL License are entitled to apply B787 TT program.
It will take 2-4 months to process your paperwork and ground school, and then you will spend a year + in line training on a 737. Then you fly as captain for a year. Then say pretty please can I be a 787 captain.

So no, you will not apply to be a 787 or 330 captain after a year. It will be 2.5 to 3 years.

Then, if you are accepted, you will try to get through 330/787 transition. A contract agency told me 2 years ago the first 8 guys on the NTR 330 failed.

So you are the 1 in 10 that passes this. You spend another year in line training. After that, you are a junior captain (cruise pilot) for 1-2 years)

An extremely low percentage of pilots pass the initial interview in China. Maybe half that pass make it to pass a line check. Half finish their contract.

I would bet Hainan has exactly zero pilots that showed up NTR on the 787 and are flying as a line captain. I heard only a few have ever passed and made it all the way to PIC on the 330.

This is a pipe dream.

If you want to fly in China, good luck. Be flexible and happy that you make it. Dreaming about some mythical pipe dream of going from 500 PIC in a 737 to a 787 Captain with a reverse roster based in YVR is a waste of a perfectly good dream. Better off buying a lottery ticket.

It might happen to somebody, but it will be just dumb luck.