View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 05:24 PM
prex8390
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by MbusiHlatsh View Post
Hi, I am in my second year of college working towards a computer science degree. I have a few questions . Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to hold a side part time job while working as a FO at a regional? For example I am planning on doing software engineering for a few years after college to pay off my college loans and saving up some money to pay for flight school.. (looking into ATP any suggestions?). When I've finally made it to the right seat I would like to have a side job doing some contract work as a freelance software engineer. Also wondering, if that's not possible how is it possible to survive off the first year pay at some of these regionals? ($20,000) What would you say is the number one factor that goes into deciding which regional to fly for until you can upgrade and get to a legacy?

To answer your questions off the back.
Part time job?: Flat out no unless this job is at your leisure and your own planning.
How to survive first year pay: budget, live at home with your parents, live within your means, find a decent apartment that isnt $3500 a month. its been proven time and time again you can go sleep with a full stomach and a roof over your head.
Best regional. What you want in life, best regional is the one that will personally make your life the best. Such as, not having to relocate for base unless that isnt a issue, how is the contract? will you get cancellation/deadhead/ferry pay? Will you have to commute? There isnt a straight answer to that but some people here will give hones answers about what they personally think of a few regional that start with G or P. I'll keep my opinion on that matter to myself since this choice is up to you.