Thread: UAL Pool-ies

John Carr , 06-02-2015 03:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2013
Quote: Academy? Had to chuckle a bit at the thought. No, not me. I just love the area. I had my heart set on Delta and SLC or United and DEN... I was fortunate enough to be hired with United, now it's just a matter what plane to pick, sit back and put in my time.
Like Hilltoper alludes to, if you want to minimize commuting pain, try to get something that will get you west coast based.

I've done the DEN-EWR commute, it sucked.
I've done the DEN-IAD commute, it sucked.
I've done the DEN-IAH commute, it sucked.

I've done the DEN-LAX, piece of cake and much more friendly time zone wise.

Quote: I know multiple guys doing it so it can be done (most end up vacancy bidding to SFO or LAX). Just know what you are getting into. Even when you finally get DEN a very long time from now you'll be super junior. Most junior guy on 76T has been here like 10 years. I don't see it getting better any time soon. Likely worse.
Everyone is different. But in 15 years, I've only been based at home for about 1.5 of them. Sitting reserve was a better day to day quality of life than commuting EVER WAS.

However, if one can hold 17+ days off on a hard line CONSISTENTLY and AT LEAST one end commutable that would change the decision matrix somewhat.

But me, I'd personally drive to work on reserve than commute.