Old 06-08-2015, 04:23 PM
TheWeatherman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
A lot of us have made sacrifices in a lot of different ways.

Let's not forget that the military pilot has all his training paid for and lives his career at a substantially higher pay with greater benefits than any equivalent civil position, particularly with regard to the level of experience and time in service.

The civil pilot, in the meantime, has paid for his own training, and his military counterpart's training, and for the service member separating and using the GI bill, that person's flight training, too.

A police officer and a firefighter spend their careers for far less money, putting their lives on the line. Nobody offers them flight training as a perk. On and on it goes. Everyone else has to foot the bill for their own training, and scratch their own career out of the rock.

A year of overseas deployment isn't exactly a hardship.

As for contractor v. military; yes, there is a difference. The service member gets a flag on his coffin.
I was in the military and received no flight training. Do you think it is the pilots of the military using the post 9/11 GI bill for this purpose? If so, you are significantly misinformed. Most of them have enough hours to get hired right away. I am starting from scratch.

I will trade my 3.5 years living in Afghanistan and Iraq to your "overseas" away from the family work in Italy or Thailand or wherever your "hardship" was any day.