Thread: Pilot Shortage?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by brianb View Post
That being said, all the major aircraft manufacturers disagree with you and so does most of Asia.
Aircraft manufacturers? They're not hiring pilots. Think.

Have you worked in Asia? I have.

Asia is expanding, not experiencing a pilot shortage. There are plenty of Chinese graudates, for example, to fill seats. Most of them are worthless. I know. I've dealt with enough of them. The Chinese philosophy for study involves cheating, cheat sheets, waiting until the last moment to study, and generally very poor performance. Overall, throughout Asia, expat pilots are hired not because there aren't numbers of asians to fill the seats, but the quality and performance of western pilots far exceeds what the Chinese, Koreans, and others are able or willing to put out. The Chinese sign massive quantities of students to 99 year contracts, regardless of whether they're used as pilots, and as a result have a massive army of indentured servants, most of whom failed out of their pilot positions despite every effort to accept the lowest common denominator.

There's no pilot shortage in Asia. There's a shortage of Asians who make the grade. There's still no pilot shortage.

Originally Posted by Kritchlow View Post
Yeah... Most regionals are desperate, and even some majors are concerned.
That can only mean there are thousands of pilots not working simply because they won't take the low pay.
There are no shortages in the major airlines. There are thousands of applicants for every position that opens up.

The regionals are the poor employers. They pay squat, and qualified, experienced pilots don't choose to go there, except in times of furlough. They're entry level jobs. There are plenty of pilots who could fill those seats. The numbers willing to do so for that price point, not so much. That does not equate to a pilot shortage.