Thread: Envoy or Mesa
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 AM
eaglefly
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by SplitDecision View Post
Seeking serious input from airline pilots. Have been to a couple of job fairs. Thanks.

North of age 40, current 135, >1000 TPIC, college degree, clean record.
So far, no luck with majors. Want to stay in Dallas. Need 121 time.

1. Can I get DFW right away from either company?

2. How long is Envoy hiring process.....Mesa is almost instant.

Envoy Advantage: AA flow, better starting pay
Mesa Advantage: Faster upgrade, Immediate class date
Tough call. I would assume Envoy can get you into class fairly quickly and is more committed to DFW, so Mesa doesn't seem to have any advantage in those respects. Upgrade projections are as fickle as flow-through projections, but I would give Mesa the edge in upgrade. If you're already close to or over 40, at that age you have more of a time concern for being attractive to legacies in the future and the potential for a back-up flow to AA may make Envoy your best bet, but it will take at least 6 years commitment to and likely longer to see if that gamble pays off. Faster 121 PIC time though, opens up more doors then just AA.
Either way, you're rolling the dice. I suppose one consideration is your time frame. At Envoy, it's a minimum of 6 years and probably longer to AA, but Mesa MAY get you quals that get you elsewhere faster. All anyone can do is offer opinions and in the end, it's you who has to decide the best gamble, because either way that's what you'll be doing.