View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Penguin
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Airbus F/O

I would like to take this opportunity to voice my concerns on the ongoing negotiations of the Hong Kong pilot domicile. First, let me premise this by saying that I am always grateful for all the hard work that our union officers put in on behalf of the membership.

This LOA will set the precedent for all future international domiciles and will not just affect the 80 or so pilots based in Asia. It is crucial that the pilot group demands FedEx to act like the Fortune 500 company it is. There is no reason that this negotiated LOA should not be comparable to those received by employees at other international companies.

Living in Asia in general and Hong Kong specifically is expensive. The Herald Tribune recently ran an article listing Hong Kong as the most expensive city in the world for expatriate workers. Housing, schooling, personal transportation costs are all elevated compared to living in the States. A compensation package should be negotiated that takes all these expenses into account. I do not feel that it is right for the company to expect us to have to lower our standards of living in order for them to have an Asia domicile. I also do not feel it us unreasonable for us to expect a negotiated agreement allowing us to live at our present standard of living.

Housing in Hong Kong will cost $8500 and up. The proposed $2700 housing allowance falls far short of being realistic. Cathay and Dragon Air pilots receive $8000 plus a month in housing allowance. Regardless of their pay should we not get at least an equivalent amount?

For those of us with school age children, education is also a major expense. We do not have the option of sending our kids to public school. School in Hong Kong costs a minimum of $15000 a year per child. British school in Hong Kong is $45000 a year per student. The payment on school tuition is considered a cost of doing business for every other company doing business over seas. Should it not be for FedEx?

Pilots and more importantly their families endure significant hardships and inconveniences when accepting an international posting. Everyday events like buying groceries, going to the bank, paying the bills all take on new meaning when trying to do them overseas. Dealing with the cultural differences and red tape of living in Asia is both stressful and tiring. I am sure this is one of the reasons that the families of every international company get at least one if not two fully paid trips back to the States every year. Once again it is a cost of doing business for these companies. Should it not be for FedEx?

There was considerable fear in Subic Bay that the union will not “ go to bat” for us on these issues because it will only affect the 80 pilots living overseas. I am sure that FedEx has plans for expansion in both Asia and Europe. How long is this issue only going to affect 80 pilots? The importance of a fair and equitable agreement, one that addresses housing, schooling, transportation, and health care costs is crucial to the quality of life for the portion of the crew force who now and in the future choose to work overseas for FedEx. In negotiating this LOA all these issues should have been addressed. They were not. FedEx must step up to the plate and act like the international company that it is. It may sound like a lot of money but we are not going over seas on holidays. We are going to work hard and try to make a living. We should not be penalized for that. For every other international company it is just a cost of doing business. Should it not be for FedEx?

I am sure that in Memphis $2700 and month for housing sounds like a lot but in Hong Kong it will not get you a cardboard box between the train tracks and the garbage dump. It would also be nice to be able to send my kids to school so they too can have all the opportunities in life that I have been fortunate to have.

I really think we have to take this opportunity to show the company that we are tired of being treated like second class citizens. We must vote no and hand this LOA back to them.

Fraternally