Thread: Alaska
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 04:05 AM
Panzon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by beerbearbastard View Post
How are the alaskans with regards to foreigners? a lot of places, eg the caribbean and Mauritius have not been very welcoming to foreigners looking for work.
There are many foreigners in Alaska, both tourists and workers. To work legally in the U.S. you will need a Green Card or a guest worker visa. This isn't my area of expertise, but my understanding is that Green Cards take a long time to acquire (it would probably be hard to get one before your trip in 2016). I believe many of the guest workers go into the hospitality or fishing industries, and I believe they are sourced through companies that specialize in providing foreign labor. I don't think you will have much luck coming to the States as a tourist and then trying to acquire a guest worker visa: I believe you need to hold the visa before arriving here.

I imagine you could work under the table for cash, possibly washing dishes or doing laborer work. Those jobs aren't likely to pay much, and it's expensive to be in Alaska in the summer. So if you come expecting to earn enough to pay for food, housing, and transportation I'd think there would be very little left over for discretionary expenses.

If you are thinking that you could come to Alaska and rough it like the pilots seeking work in Maun, I'd reconsider. Yes, the indigent, addicted, and mentally ill do eke out an existence living in tents in and around Anchorage, but that is a tough life and is rather high risk.