View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by scambo1 View Post
From my 777 soda straw view so far...

LCA trips un biddable, frms reserves assigned shortcall early on days off (then theoretically given trips that would be otherwise covered by overtime flying), sick time counting for credit. These all negatively affect GS opportunities.

I'm sure I'm not covering some of the other interrelated items.

For me, personally, I'm seeing about $90-100k less based on these items negative effect on greenslip availability. I'm not looking for anyone to play me the smallest fiddle in the world, but I'm a mid pack FO and that's what I'm seeing.

Add to that list that profit sharing is calculated on w2 so chop about $16k more.
GS or lack thereof should not be considered when discussing a pay cut or raise.

I find it strange that some no voters are upset because if the TA is ratified then that cuts into their GS opportunities, thus a pay cut, etc.

Usually the sentiment on these and similar message boards is how GS are "bad" (sometimes called greed slips) how anyone flying them hates their family, has no life outside work, can't see the big picture due to their selfishness ("just think how many more pilots would be hired if no one flew GS!") etc.

If you get a GS, that's great! Ride that train while it lasts. But I don't buy the company's line that opportunities for premium pay somehow constitute a pay raise, nor the pilot upset at seeing GS potentially drying up claiming it is a pay cut.