Old 06-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by newKnow View Post
DALPA,

I've decided to communicate to you through this forum, since 1.) you've let me know you read it, & 2.) I'm not sure you read other things I've sent you -- namely contract surveys.

What happened? It seems as though I spent way too much time filling out the contract survey you guys asked my to fill out last year. I don't see much in this TA that I asked for, while I see a lot of things I specifically asked for you not to allow to happen.

Did you read it? Did you read the other pilots surveys? Who asked for a cut in our profit sharing? Did anyone ask for the other employees to take a cut in their profit sharing, too. Who asked for such a drastic change to our sick leave policy? Who asked for a relaxation in scope? Who asked for LCA OE trips to be restricted for FO's? Who asked for new hire training freezes to be increased to 24 months? Did anyone ask for such a small pay raise when the company is making record profits?

The above items seem like things the company asked for. In fact, you've said as much in just about every correspondence you've sent me. "The company approached us with...." "The company wanted...." "The company needed [something] addressed...." That's great for them, but did you send them a survey?

I expect the company to ask for such things. They have a fiduciary duty to maximize profits and go for the gusto when it comes to negotiating contracts. But, you have a fiduciary duty to 12,000 plus Delta pilots and the more I see of this TA, the more I question whether you are fulfilling that obligation.

So, help me out. What did we get that should really knock my socks off? I don't see it. What I see are a lot of little things that the company was going to do anyway, disguised to make it seem as if it was a gift, or things so small and inconsequential that they aren't worthy of mentioning (E-190's, transparency in the vacation move up process, providing "forget CQ Golden Days" in PBS, increasing ALPA involvement in the training process, etc.) Well, I've gotten school books, pencils, and notepads for Christmas before, and I haven't been fooled by the real reason behind why I was getting these things, since I was 7 years old. (I don't get them anymore. )

Please. Help me out some more. Here's a list of what happened to(s):

1.) Jetway trades.
2.) Reserve pilots being able to yellow slip trios outside to their days availability group?
3.) A better health insurance plan.
4.) Payback for unused sick days.
5.) Increased international pay.
7.) More paid time off.
8.) More authorized personal drops.
9.) Better rest facilities for international aircraft.
10.) Better reserve rules.
11.) Better fatigue rules.
12.) Paid lodging for new hires, etc...

The above are just some of the things I can think of and I welcome you and the others to add to it. But, the bottom line is, I just don't see where the things we are getting in the TA equal the things we (and the other employees) are giving up.

I really don't see much of what I expressed in the contract survey reflected in this agreement.

Can you republish the survey, so I can see where I, and the vast majority of pilots I've spoken to since the details of the TA were released, went wrong in expressing ourselves?

It, and another chance to get this right (rescind this TA), would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, for listening. :roll eyes:

Respectfully,
New TA Now
Great job NewK. Especially like the new temporary screen name of New TA Now.

Carl