View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 01:33 PM
JDFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by ZapBrannigan View Post
My class was 86% military (lots of Vipers, U2, B2, fighter weapons school top guns types with fancy call signs) 14% civilian - all former check airmen, chief pilots, directors of training, etc. average flight time for the civilians was in the 9000-10,000 neighborhood. Most, but not all, did an interview prep. Most civilians were on interview #2 when they got the nod. Mil guys all on their first interview. A handful of the Navy guys had to go to regionals for a few months or a year before they got an interview, but I suspect that was more timing than anything. They were all Astronauts and water walkers. Very intimidating group. Don't know how I slipped through the cracks.
Please, please don't let these military frat rats intimidate you. I assure you, you are MORE than equal to the job. I will leave it at that, lest I get flamed on this thread.

As for their call signs (i.e. pledge names they give themselves) nothing will irritate them more than simply calling them the name their mothers gave them. To give you a preview of what you can expect, we actually have a real life, "Maverick" at SWA. It is just an embarrassment.

Some of my other favorites are when they try to impress you with the plane they flew in the military, for example the F-16, just be sure to respond with something like, "That one has two engines right?" You will see the tops of their ears start to turn red.

Finally, don't let these "rugged, conservative, self made individuals" ever forget that they are or were government employees, whose paycheck and benefits are funded by the taxpayer. Their government "pensions" are taxpayer funded, and their government health insurance is single-payer, socialized medicine.

I've been here five years, and I am tired of putting up with it in the cockpit. For those in the know, you know exactly were I am based.