View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 07:22 PM
NightShip1129
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: MD-11 Capt

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
DW and BC introduced and explained the VEBA Trust as a way to fix their own retirement medical coverage costs.

They didn't even try to hide the fact that many of the rest of us might never see the same benefit. I had more than one "debate" at Union Roadshows with BC about why we (the Membership) should vote to take care of the 2 of them.

I opposed the TA for that and other reasons. But ... silly me, I also opposed AGE 65 because it was VERY BAD for me and everyone else who always planned to retire at 60. We ALL lost 5 years seniority that day (Imagine what different seat you might be in if 750 folks retired in those 5 years; how about what better training and vacation periods you might have been able to hold, better monthly bid awards? All for a few folks who didn't properly plan for retirement and don't have any hobbies they'd rather be doing instead hub-turning at night! That's sad and kind of pathetic ).

We gave the guys who were 53 when we signed that contract a bonus just because they were 53. It's a benefit that SHOULD have been negotiated for ALL of us!*?

As our Union leadership said at the time, "This one's for us and ... clink, clink ... Geesh, I love Union Politics

I absolutely, positively agree with everything you said! As far as the age 65 deal, most of us got the shaft. It was another perfect example of the leadership and senior guys saying, "I got mine!" They wanted their turn and mine too. There's been way too many times that certain individuals got a special deal while the majority of us get left holding the bag.