View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 03:09 AM
Just Fly
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Default Mil to ATP under the new system

So I'm one of those guys who never paid attention to the all the folks talking about prepping or being prepared for the transition from mil aviation to commercial. Now that I am considering it, I find I'm behind on understanding the requirements (esp w/ the 2014 changes).

So four questions:

1. I have a private license (since UPT, but never used), about 1300 hrs fixed wing time (including all the ATP reqs [XC, instrument, ME]) and 1400 hrs rotary wing. Does my helo time count towards my 1500 hr ATP requirement?

2. To get from my current state to ATP in hand I'll need to first get my commercial, then the ATP-CTP, then take my ATP and eval? Are there places that can package that all together for me (and if yes, is that smart)?

3. Of the listing of places the FAA has certified for the ATP-CTP, several aren't avail (must be a student to use Embry Riddle) or still awaiting certification. So it seems that after a year of the new rules there are really only 3 places in the US to get the CTP. Are any inherently better than the others?

4. Surfing through these forums, i see a general consensus that I should seek a military friendly ATP program, not to get a free ride, but so the check pilot understands why I don't have a log book, or that all my flights counts as XC, and other issues that many have complained just aren't understood by an evaluator in random city USA. Thoughts?

Thanks to anyone with words of wisdom to offer.