View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM
CenterlinePrep
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Interview Consulting

Originally Posted by jumping ship View Post
Yep, another new guy with questions…thanks in advance for all the advice. I’ve scoured most of the threads on this site. Great info.

I’m at the 22-year point and have decided to get out next summer, would start 3+ months of terminal leave Jun 2016, and a retirement date of Oct 2016. I’m in a flying billet (not as much flying as I’d like… 100 hours a year if I’m lucky). My background: primarily single seat ~2300 hours with IP/EP time. I have a commercial/multi/inst/ with a BE-350 type.

Primary reason for getting out is I love flying and quite honestly I would like a job where I only need to focus on that. If I stay in, it is staff jobs from here on out; not to mention dismal work-load and schedule… Although I expect a drop in pay for the first year, I’m fortunate enough to have a retirement pay to supplement.

With a year to plan, I’m trying to get a sanity check on a way forward.

Things to do:

1) Take ATP checkride (I passed the written test July 2014). The two options I’m considering first, A KingAir refresher with the ATP check. Or, second, a 737 type to give more options & flexibility; I’m looking at the December 2015 timeframe. The third option, finding a location for a quick 3 day checkout/checkride in a Twin, I discarded, as I think I personally would benefit from a fuller course. Pros/Cons/Recommendations?

2) Take an Interview Prep Course and build my resume. Feb 2016 timeframe.

3) Ask friends already flying for airlines for recommendation letters (send them drafts). Feb 2016 timeframe.

4) Start applying. This is where I have the most uncertainty in trying to find the sweet spot in regards to timing. Since I won’t start terminal leave until Jun 2016, and retire Oct 2016; what is too early, or too late…? In a perfect world (assuming I get hired) I’d like to start June/July 2016.

5) Finally, how tough is that first year...?

Again, thank you for any advice and thoughts about the above plan you might be able to provide. Plus I’m sure I’m missing a lot of lessons learned, would dearly like to hear those too…
Jumping Ship,

You're on the right track and sounds like your ducks are in a row. As noted above, grab the ATP. Start getting stuff together early like driving records, transcripts, etc.

As far as first year pay, everyone has to deal with it. But with the new contracts at the legacies, it's much more tolerable these days.

Centerline Interview Consulting