View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 02:27 AM
TSRAGR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Position: They have more than one?

[QUOTE=1) Take ATP checkride (I passed the written test July 2014). The two options I’m considering first, A KingAir refresher with the ATP check. Or, second, a 737 type to give more options & flexibility; I’m looking at the December 2015 timeframe. The third option, finding a location for a quick 3 day checkout/checkride in a Twin, I discarded, as I think I personally would benefit from a fuller course. Pros/Cons/Recommendations?
[/QUOTE]

Jump, not sure this question was answered from your post, so here is my two cents.

I went to a small mom and pop'ish shop w/a light twin to get the flying portion done. After the 1st 2 hrs, i realized two things. 1:I might have studied the POH more than the guy teaching the class. 2:When the IP got a phone call airborne from the boss requesting the aircraft for another "client", prior to my time being over; i realized I probably should go to a different outfit. Now, I hear there are ton of places that 'cater' to Mil and where i went wasn't one of them, but it wasn't an environment i was used too.

So, I decided to go to Higher Power and get the ATP/Type rating. I did this for several reasons. Once i decided to switch I thought about the fact I had 0 knowledge of the heavy world (i've been single-seat my whole career) and to be honest I wanted to make sure I could fit in w/a crew. Also, I'd never flown an a/c like the 73 and wanted to be sure I could. Lastly, I knew if i could make it through the training prog that I would probably not have an issue in the future. To me, this whole process was putting money away in the bank. i'm now more confident and knowledge about large jet ops. So, I highly recommend getting the type, if you can afford it (GI Bill) and you want the confidence of operating a large jet prior to interviewing.

As for HPA, i have nothing but good things to say about them. Great training program and unparalleled professionalism. They have customer service down to a science.

PM me w/any specifics. Good luck. (btw-I was lead turning the ATP, i'm still in for another 24mon-so no airline gouge)