View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 AM
stinsonjr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Default Flight Instruction question

I am interested in what Flight Instructors have to say. I am really begining to feel like I would enjoy getting my CFI/MEI and teaching. I really do not want to teach primary though - it scares me. The thought of actually determining that someone is ready for solo, and then watching them go around the pattern is terrifying to me. I would really like to teach Multi, commercial, Aerobatic/upset recovery, Tailwheel endorsements...but the thought of being responsible for when a new student solo's, cross country, etc absolutely scares me. Am I alone in this way? Has anyone ever had a primary student screw up badly on a solo, or solo x-country? (maybe a bad question - it will reinforce my terror )

Also - what type of instruction is the most fun/least fun?
What type of instruction do you feel best sharpened your skills?

Just curious...I have seen lots of posts from people that "don't want to instruct", and people that feel that "instructing is the best way to learn". I would like to hear specifics about what instructors like and learn (as opposed to general comments like "it is rewarding" and "i learned more while instructing").

Thanks in advance guys