Thread: time for PPL?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 PM
N9373M
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 127.0.0.1

Originally Posted by Stets656 View Post
16 days!!!!? Holy crap! Did u fly like 8 hours a day? And what do u mean the pre-solo isn't the written????
I'm not sure if you are for real, based on your questions, and how many times you ask the same ones over and over, but................

The pre-solo test is usually just a one pager from the flight school making sure you know the airplane (wt+bal, V speeds, emergency procs, etc).

To get a PPL, you must pass a written (multiple guess) exam, pass an oral exam with the examiner, as well as pass a flight test with an examiner.

It's been 20+ years, but when I took it, it was a 50 question test out of a bank of 700 (?). The FAA gives you the questions and the answers to study. You don't know which ones you'll get on the written test.

The day of the flight test with the examiner, he/she will give you an oral exam. This can last from 1 to 3 hours. The better you do on the written, the better you are prepared (documents, logbook, x-cty planning, etc), the quicker the oral.

The flight test will consist of items from the PTS (I think it's now called something different). Stuff like short/soft field takeoffs and landings, stalls, steep turns, slow flight, etc.

I'd sit down with your CFI, let him know what you're trying to accomplish (PPL in 2 months), and have him explain what you need to do (written, minimum flight hours, etc) and how he plans on helping you achieve your goal.

Here's a brief outline pulled from AOPA's website

Aeronautical knowledge and FAA knowledge test (the written)
Pre-solo training in the airplane
Solo training
Flying to other airports (cross-county training)
Solo cross-county training
Practical test preparation
Practical test

Good luck.

Last edited by N9373M; 06-26-2015 at 05:17 PM.