View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 AM
busdriver12
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

"Lots of folks speculate a new contract will flush a bunch to the exits, but I tend to be more skeptical than most. We have some pilots who fly right up until their 65th birthday...not even taking their BD month off. Not criticizing anyone--its their right--but I don't think that many pilots are bailing at 62 as many thought they would. Some pilots are sailing before 60, and some along the way, but it appears most will hang on until that last year of eligibility"

You know, I don't understand staying until the very last minute. I do get it for people that got hired by FedEx at a later age, and are trying to maximize their retirement, or those that have financial difficulties. But otherwise, is the job that enjoyable, when you are struggling with the physical burdens that aging brings? Even if you have the best schedule in the bidpack, you still get stuck flying night hubturns, trip revisions, and in ice storms. It has got to shorten your life, why not enjoy what you have left, even if retirement doesn't pay as much as working does?

Of course, someone did just retire at 58. I hope he collects his pension for 50 years!