View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 AM
stinsonjr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by jedinein View Post
It's the multi students that scare me. They can screw up something and I won't be able to recover. Engine failure on takeoff, student feathers wrong engine, student leaves gear down, and/or student leaves flaps down. Presto! the marginally survivable situation has just become a crash.

As if to prove my point, the local bottom feeder flight school lost both of its multis less than a week apart. The first, they were able to skip off two roofs before settling on a third. The second was a nosewheel collapse on landing.

Most of the other local multis have crashed with MEIs aboard conducting multi instruction. Very few have survived their crashes.

I'll do my multi training and recurrency stuff in the sim. Once the pilot proves there is only a slim chance of him killing me, then we might actually get up into the airplane and go fly.
This is interesting. I was under the impression that Multi would perhaps be the most risky in some ways...if for no other reason than I got my PPL at a field that was named after the Airport owners son who happened to die while doing multi-training at that airport. Happened years before I was born but apparently they lost the critical engine on an Apache (Not the Geronimo version, but stock 150hp's per side) on a HOT day (Houston, TX) with an observer in the back seat. I believe, on the old Apache's, they had the hydraulic pump on the left engine only...so if you lost that, the gear was in place (down in this case, it was take-off). The did a VMC roll into 70 ft. pine tree's at the north end of the field.