Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 PM
rocket172
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by Slim11 View Post
Retired NG here.

You're cutting things extremely close here. I was commissioned in the ANG when the ANG did their own officer training (AMS) in TYS. That was 6-7 weeks and almost everyone was prior-enlisted, including me. I know it's not in TYS anymore. How long is the program?

What kind of job were you offered...flying or non-flying position? That might go a long way in being able to tell a future employer when you'll be available for their training. I was non-rated (signal corps/combat communications) and that had some advantages.

Don't feel guilty about having options. Here are two scenarios I see...

First, you tell your employer you have training scheduled for the ANG. They say no problem and hire you with a start date later this month. You complete ground school and simulator before your orders start. You'll go on military leave. You also have a seniority number. As others have told you this is very, VERY important.

Second, and I have seen this happen, you are honest with the companies during interviews. You will be on military orders in October. You will not be available to them after the start date. They may decide to find a reason, other than your military commitments, to not offer you a job. If you are going to UPT after OCS, you'll come out as a rated military pilot in a reserve component of the USAF and that will be a very valuable commodity in 2-3 years.

I think you're in a no-lose situation.

Send some rounds down range for me!
The program is 8 weeks for prior service and 9 week non-prior. They call it Total Officer Training now. I will be in a flying position in the ANG! I don't have orders yet for October, I just know that is the soonest I may leave. I should've stated that in my initial post. I understand there is a lot of hurry up and wait.