Thread: Fred at GOC...
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 PM
YYESIAV8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Huck View Post
When we went to flag ops I had a standards guy crowing to me about how much money it would save. I asked him if they calculated the increased divert rate and he reluctantly said no.

When we first went to flag on the 777 I flew an HKG-MEM, rereleased, with no alternate. This is in summertime. I pointed out to the captain that we were relying on weather that would be 18 hours old when we got there. We quit doing that after an Asia 777 flight diverted to Dallas.

I sure hope the story that started this thread is true. But I'm pretty pessimistic that even Fred won't stop our trajectory. The sad but undeniable truth is - Valujet made scads of money. Right up until the crash. Nobody's ever SEEN the margins they were earning, and the stock went through the roof. Again.... Right up until the crash.....
How did you release with no alternate for even the first leg of the redispatch? That leg had to be over 6 hours, so you would have been required to have an alternate. If the second leg was over 6 hours that one too would have needed an alternate. Or are you saying you did not have an alternate for MEM, but maybe had one for the first part of the flight? The chart in chapter 3 of the FOM is fairly easy to follow and it always leaves the decision to the dispatcher/Captain if one of them feels that an alternate might be appropriate. And yes I have asked for an Alternate and been given one on a redispatch flight. :roll eyes: