View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 04:21 AM
MikeF16
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
...And yes they've done JFK-MXP and I choose this confirmed ticket over Delta, American, or United because EK's service is better and the ticket prices were pretty much equal...
And why is that? The ME is a region that has spurned science, technology, human rights, progressive thinking, and innovation for about 1500 years. Why all of a sudden have they figured out how to run an airline better than anybody else in the world? Oh yeah that's right they haven't -- they cheat with massive subsidies. Fine, they can cheat all they want but we don't have to let them participate in open skies when they do.

Originally Posted by PILOTGUY View Post
There was not even a hint of a "spring" in the UAE.
The UAE has extremely generous social welfare programs for native Emirates, they are well bribed and there was no need for a spring since they happily live in benevolent bondage. In addition, they put the NSA to shame when it comes to controlling their population. While I don't suggest they have the same massive technical ability to spy on the entire world like my Uncle Sam, they are laser focused on their own country and take drastic actions against their sphere of influence to nip any dissent in the bud. The guy in the linked story at the bottom of my post spent 7 months in jail for a YouTube video that only mildly pokes fun at UAE gangsta wannabes. 7 months for a tiny joke that didn't even criticize the leadership. The only reason we even know about it is because he was an American. The UAE is a religious police state with very tight controls, there will be no spring here for a VERY long time.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1568827