View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
Thank you for writing a far more balanced review of the sick leave program then normally appears here. You have basically stated why I am leaning to a no vote.
I will have to disagree with the notion we don't have abuse. I flew with one FO as a example who explained how he exceeds 300k a year. He uses what he termed tactical sick drops to increase GS's. I know another pilot with a full time second job. He sicks out to cover that job. I once had a copilot who just came out of the office and when the RP stated we did not have sick leave abuse laughed so hard I thought he was going to choke! He then proceeded to give example after example. I suggested we fire those guys and he talked about why that is virtually impossible for the company and when they do the abuser almost always gets his job back with back pay. You would think if a pilot only bids turns but every other month over a two year period bid a high time 4 day domestic and sicked out of every one you could terminate him but that's not the case. You would think a pilot who over 5 years had sicked out only on weekends and every single holiday he could not bid off would be fired. Again not the case. I could go on and on.
The real problem is finding a solution that curbs abuse but does not penalize the majority of the pilot group who use the sick leave as intended. The TA falls dramatically short in that regard.

Sailing,

Very good post. I would agree that there are some Pilots who probably abuse sick leave, but I think the company is trying to portray it as rampant when in actuality the cases you highlight are probably very rare.

First of all this TA needs to be defeated and then we can get serious about changing/improving our sick leave.

I would suggest a panel of Delta Pilots that at the companies request can be be empowered to review questionable sick leave occurrences.

The panel can be authorized to take specific actions if it agrees with the company. For example a first confirmed abuse could be handled with a written warning. The second time the panel agrees with the company it can for example dock a Pilot 25% of the pay for the rotation in question etc. Penalties could progressively ramp up. The built in protection of this system is that it would require Line Pilots to review the case and agree with the company before any action can be taken,

This way we wouldn't have a whole bureaucracy potentially looking into our Pilots medical history and Pilots sick leave usage would be evaluated by Line Pilots. If guys were blatantly abusing sick leave they would wise up and the average Pilot would not be pressured to not call in sick.

OBTW - It took about 2 minutes to come up with this idea. I'm sure it is not perfect, but imagine how good of a solution we could come to if a bunch of volunteer Pilots, mostly non-DALPA line pilots, formed a committee to review and recommend changes to our sick leave policy.

This whole TA is a rushed and shoddy product and if it passes we will be regretting it for a very long time.

Scoop

Last edited by Scoop; 07-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.