View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by Seaslap8 View Post
I am very concerned by the sick leave changes and trying to get a firm grip on it... could you please clarify these concerns, I'm not following this post.
A doctor/third party can verify a fever. They can't verify most headaches. They can verify congestion. They can't verify most stomach aches. They can verify a sprained ankle, but usually can't verify a pinched nerve in your neck (unless you pay for an MRI out of pocket I guess, and even then it might not capture it).

So if you call in sick, you dam better make sure its for something a third party can verify with hard metrics. Otherwise you will either have to violate the law and fly sick or risk your job by calling in sick for something that isn't third party verifiable. And if you are mentally distraught over something at home, you better run to a psychologist and get diagnosed with a debilitating condition (depression, etc) and put that on your record for life, and deal with that, in this job, for the rest of your career, just to get paid for that 3 day.

Then we get to the whole "records check" nonsense. In almost (but not all) cases, if you get to a records check, you already by definition have already had to verify. So why do they need the records check in those cases?

If you have an upset stomach, headache, pinched nerve, nausea, obscure hormonal imbalance, etc that by definition can't be verified, then not only is is unverified, but, also by definition there will be no records to check during the records check.

So then what?