Thread: Allegiant Air
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM
dawgdriver
Swimmin' in da pool

Joined APC: Jan 2014

At the risk of coming off like a hypocrite (I left), pilots voting with their feet may be exactly what the company wants. Management plans to change the nature and foundation of the airline business ('different'), and ridding the ranks of those senior folks who disagree has worked quite well. Look at the flight attendants: Buyouts and making life miserable forced senior flight attendants to bail, leaving in their wake nothing but eager, giddy, unitiated new workers happily jumping at the chance to "work directly" with their benevolent managers...on a vote to decertify their only protection. Put another X in the win column, 2 down, 1 to go.

Having succeeded with them and the dispatchers, and given the CEO's identical tactic of refusing dues check off, is there any doubt he's attempting the same thing with their pilots? And if he succeeds in getting large numbers to vote with their feet, will the union stand a chance? For obvious reasons, smaller operations with high turnover and outward mobility seldom succeed because no one cares. The company knows this, so does F&H Solutions. If that happens, I suspect they will eventually be decertified and go the way of the other two groups, left to deal directly with management (isn't that scary prospect the reason they got a union in the first place?).

As an airline pilot under a different contract, I would be concerned if the G4 pilots lost this fight.

I also wouldn't discount the impact two years of negative accounts from these guys have had on the company's ability to attract qualified pilots. Yes, there are still plenty of starving regional guys out there, but that balance will soon shift. It's secondhand information, others can verify, but isn't G4 starting to have more difficulty filling classes?

I don't begrudge anyone for leaving, everyone has a duty to themselves, their carers and their families. But for the sake of the profession, I selfishly hope good people stay and fight the good fight. If the Allegiant pilots lose, we all lose.

I encourage everyone out there to support these guys, they are an awesome group of pilots fighting a tough war. I wish them the very best, for all our sake.

Last edited by dawgdriver; 07-09-2015 at 06:59 PM.