View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 AM
PILOTGUY
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
The UAE has extremely generous social welfare programs for native Emirates, they are well bribed and there was no need for a spring since they happily live in benevolent bondage. In addition, they put the NSA to shame when it comes to controlling their population. While I don't suggest they have the same massive technical ability to spy on the entire world like my Uncle Sam, they are laser focused on their own country and take drastic actions against their sphere of influence to nip any dissent in the bud. The guy in the linked story at the bottom of my post spent 7 months in jail for a YouTube video that only mildly pokes fun at UAE gangsta wannabes. 7 months for a tiny joke that didn't even criticize the leadership. The only reason we even know about it is because he was an American. The UAE is a religious police state with very tight controls, there will be no spring here for a VERY long time.
Well that is why the crime here is extremely low. You want to go off and show your a$$, you are gonna see the inside of a jail.

The woman woman who killed the U.S. teacher in Abu Dhabi was caught, tried, and sentenced to death. In well less than a years time, and keep in mind that she was in full traditional arabic dress.(only her eyes could be seen)

Except for exercising my car, I am law abiding person, so it does not bother me in the least. Not to mention the police do not care about that. That is what speed cameras are for, according to the police. I know a ton of westerners here, and I don't know a single person who complains, or even mentions about being "controlled".

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
Exactly. Thanks to the 5th fleet and massive military welfare from the US and to a much lesser extent EU and a few others.

They wouldn't last 5 minutes without their western mercenaries protecting them 24/7. Actually mercenary isn't a fair word, because at least mercenaries are the ones getting paid.
Very interesting that you would bring that up, since the 5th Fleet's home is IN Bahrain, and all hell broke loose there during the 'Spring'.