Thread: Regional Choice
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 06:57 AM
nuball5
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by Antney View Post
I am close to returning to the industry, last flew with ATA Airlines (Chicago Express) back in 2004, I left back then when ATA was filing for bankruptcy (have about 3,200 hours), left and was fortunate to create a construction business and have done pretty well since that. I just need to be back in aviation (airlines) miss it way too much.

My question is what regional would be my best choice in returning, I have a family with 4 kids so upgrade and quickest time to major would be my number 1 goal (same as everyone), majors would equate close to the life style I have now salary wise. I am open to moving if that's the best choice, being in Chicago I would prefer to move somewhere more affordable since the pay cut will be substantial.

What I have researched and been out for sometime would be PSA (I heard they are heavy on FOs) or GoJets that have the quickest upgrade, if starting today. I do know how fast that changes, my second choice would be to find an airline in an affordable city that I could be comfortable for the next 7-10 years if had to be, I am 36 by the way so not a young chic anymore.

Appreciate any feedback!

Just make sure you're prepared financially to stay at a regional for a significant amount of time. There are regional check airmen with 6,000 or more hours, TPIC time, with multiple job fairs and great resumes still waiting for a call. Even at a LCC like jetBlue, you'll need roughly another 1,800 hours(at least two years to obtain that) to reach their competitive benchmark for civilians.