View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by TSRAGR View Post
thanks for the reply.

I know the Total time question seemed elementary, but I can't find the freakin' error so that was leading me to think something was wrong w/the bigger picture logging. The problem isn't w/my total time is what is constituting it.

The exact situation is as follows, 1127hrs Total t38 time: 80 PIC, 799 IP, 212 Dual Received and 33 Other, which equals 1124 not 1127. I can't find where the other da#m hours are.

Was just hoping someone on the outside might have had a similar situation. I've looked through all 1100 sorties, twice, and can't find the error.

Guess it's time for look #3.
I can see a big problem right off the bat. You're treating some of the labels you're giving your times as mutually exclusive (i.e. PIC is separate from IP). This was not the case in my person situation. Every IP hour I logged was also part of my PIC total.

In your example from your previous post, you had 1.3 hours of PIC and of course all that goes into total time as well. But, you also had .7 of IP time on the same sortie. Your IP time is part of your PIC time for that flight. You can't add up PIC and IP time to get total time for that sortie because if you did, you'd end up with 2.0. So, if you're determining your total time by adding up the various categories of times you listed, it seems inevitable that you would induce errors just looking at the one 1.3 hour sortie you gave as an example.

Looking at the times you posted above, I'm confused. Have you only flown the T-38 for the USAF (i.e. are you a FAIP?). Are you saying that your managed to log 799 hours as an IP and NONE of those IP hours are considered PIC? I'm not sure how that could be possible.

As an instructor, aren't you usually with a student?