View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 06:58 AM
mike734
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737

Originally Posted by Beaver Hunter View Post
I must agree with the bad handling at SW. I never thought to slip a 737. But now I know it can be done. Thanks SW��
I sat in a SW Jumpseat years ago and watched as the FO attempt a visual approach into RNO. We were hot and high so he call for Flaps 40° at 200 KIAS in a -700. The Captain said, "well, I don't think you'll get them but here you go." Of course they didn't deploy because of blow back so he used full rudder, full opposite aileron, and full speed brake to slip the jet.

As we sank like a rock I contemplated how I was going to prevent the impending crash. As we got back on glide slope, he straighten out and we crossed the threshold on GS at about +5. It worked! But it was sooo ugly. The jet bucked, shook and rattled. It was falling rather than flying. They were quite proud of themselves afterwards.

I won't even get into the part where they didn't use the auto throttles (not allowed) and how we got the buffet alert and over speed clacker several times over the Sierras. All the while they were having a farting contest. It was quite a flight.