Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 08:14 AM
bgmann
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by sevenforseven View Post
Informative, thank you. My hold up is a T/A that I'm under in my current position; once that's done I'm out. Been looking at Compass for a while. I'm going to take a huge pay cut coming there so the sooner I can upgrade the better ( and yes, I have the 1K 121 time).
I don't claim to know more than the next guy. But just wanted to share w you the many rumors we have been hearing in hotel vans and sim instructors and such. Firstly, no one knows the algorithm to figure out how many FOs are left to log 1000 hours. What we would need to do is: ask each and every FO what their P121 time is and take notes if each FO is willing to commute to any base and take reserve. Not all will accept commuting and be on reserve. Of course figuring out when FOs will have their time and will bid is difficult to picture, we are all guessing. It comes down to...How many have 1000 hours but refuse to commute. Or have the time from other airlines, but some will want to get 150 hours in the plane for two months before they bid for and be comfortable as a captain. Etc. etc. Now, with that said... The rumors we have heard are only 1-2 more captain bids are coming in August and September. I say that, to recommend to you, if you come here can you live with this decision if you don't upgrade for 1-2 years? 20 flows to Delta per month, but only like 60-70 left to go. The question remains, "does the training department take this knowledge into account and making these vacancies 3 months prior to allow for ground school, FPT school, sim school, and IOE line training?" I believe they do. So that's where this rumor likely comes from. Also worth mentioning,we are still taking some airplanes for AA flying. So are they all taken into account and those planes are in the bids and currently training crews for those planes? Or will Delta flow stop in 4 months but also taking deliveries? I don't have the answer to that. I think I heard 6 more AA planes??? Just don't be upset if you come here and upgrades go to 5-10 per month for normal attrition of guys to majors. My personal question is, in a year from now, will our captains have low TPIC time and attrition slows. I am a logical and analytical thinker. Sorry if this sounds negative. But just accept the possibility of it being 1.5-2 years upgrwde by the time you get your ID badge. That's what HR is telling applicants on the phone interview as well, I believe. Good luck.

Last edited by bgmann; 07-21-2015 at 08:50 AM.