View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 AM
jnav

Default Request Career advice.

Hello all,
I'm looking for input and career advice.
I'm currently in the U.S. Coast Guard and have 6 yrs left to retire at 20 yrs. active duty. I'm an Aircraft Electronics technician on our HC-130's and fly as Flight Navigator on our various missions. I hold an A&P license also with civilian and military maintenance experience, acquired after serving 4 yr tour in USAF, and FCC license w/ Radar endorse.
I have my Commercial pilots license w/ SE/ME/IFR ratings and have approx.
247 hrs TT. Completed the latter half of last year.
I'm transfering this summer 2006 from sunny Hawaii to the Sacramento area where I look to have more available opportunities for flying.
I'm trying to prepare for my career after the Coast Guard. Mainly looking for the cargo flying scene or charter stuff, Ameriflight being one of the companies I'd like to work for. Main thing is that I want my next job to be fun and enjoyable without the rigors I experience now in my present job. I do enjoy what I do now but it's very demanding considering that I maintain/repair the aircraft equipment then fly as flight crew for whatever the current mission.
I just would like some good options that will enable me to build the time I need to get into the jobs I'm seeking while I'm finishing my time in the Coast Guard. I'm 36 yrs. old and will be 42 when I retire so I'm looking at age being a factor positive or negative.
I have the books for CFI and will probably attain that certification, but my work schedule will determine if and how often I can instruct. So all that being said can I get some incite plzzzzzzzz fellows.Thanks.