View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 AM
full of luv
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right

Originally Posted by Aeronut2003 View Post
Just to understand the industry a little better (I'm currently in the pool at United). What happens if I do make Captain in 5 years and then a large economic downturn happens? Would I be bumped back to FO? Or would I be furloughed as the low man on the Capt totem pole? Is there more job security in not upgrading? Thanks in advance!
There is one Seniority list, and once hired you have your place on it. After that you can choose to cash in seniority and be a captain as soon as possible, or hold out for better locations/skeds and bid captain later.

In the event of a furlough, and you are a junior captain, you will not be kicked out of your seat unless the seats you are flying are moved/or parked, or (which is most likely) someone senior to you is getting displaced because their seat is being moved or parked.

Wether or not you are ultimately furloughed only depends on your position on the overall seniority list, and wether you decide to be a ultra junior captain or super senior FO will have no bearing on that outcome.