View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by Baron50 View Post
Yes, that would be an excellent idea. Get the facts, know what you are talking about before you speak...a novel idea. While you are at it, read the data regarding general aviation accidents linked to medical issues. Study the light sport experience. Flying, without the waste of money and time that is called a third class medical exam.

No doubt Doc, you belong to the AMA, one of the few groups that benefits directly and supports the third class medical charade. As a group, doctors (and lawyers) have a disproportionate number of accidents to the detriment of aviation safety. So, the simple solution is to have a higher level of scrutiny for these professions. Another great idea would be to bring their level of compensation down to that of an airline pilot. In that case, they would not be able to afford an airplane that requires the skills of a professional airman.

ALPA members do not have third class medicals and maybe they think this is of no consequence to them, but they forget, everyone retires one day. ALPA just lost a great deal of support from the retirees. This is a big deal for us. So, please don't ask for us for PAC money or to lobby Congress for you. It is clear you don't support us.
That didn't take long to go full blown crazy!

No I'm actually not an AMA member. I was in the past. Weird that you think that doctors are a homogeneous group. Just like pilots we have different opinions. Third class medical fees are a very small drop in a very large bucket, and it would not factor greatly in opinion of policy.

As a doctor and an aging pilot, I would be at the mercy of any rules too. I care about keeping people healthy and safe, and I already have enough money to comfortably retire. It is not a big motivation for me. So give the conspiracy theory a rest.

While you are at it, read the data regarding general aviation accidents linked to medical issues.
It is low, but a low rate might be considered evidence of the medical evaluation's efficacy, screening out those with potential events, not ammunition to get rid of it.

A good counter might be how many people have auto crashes as a result of medical issues? Well, I see them a lot. Drivers licenses are given quite easily and have a very low medical barrier to obtain, essentially zero.

Another great idea would be to bring their level of compensation down to that of an airline pilot. In that case, they would not be able to afford an airplane that requires the skills of a professional airman.
I think I see what this is about now.

So, anybody have a link to the actual text of the bill?