View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM
pilot64golfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Gets weekends off

Originally Posted by Monkeyfly View Post
Thanks for posting that SSC explaination.

My answer to your question is YES!

Getting rid of this particular PBS system is my number one priority for positive change in this contract.

-It affects us negatively every month. (We don't accept that with our paychecks, why with our schedules?)

-It takes way too much time and thought to "program" the bid than our last system. (More time devoted to work instead of family.)
This system isn't going anywhere. I've been assured that.

You wanna have some fun. Try programming this into the current PBS

Problem: You want to work as few weekend hours as possible.

Old PBS:
Avoid Weekend Hours 5 (Negatively weight weekend trips per hour by 5 points)

What this means: Assume there are 4 weekends in a month. That means there are 192 weekend hours in a month. It would 1st try to build you a line with no weekend hours. If not, it would try to build you a line with 191 weekend hours off. Then 190. Then 189. Etc.

This one little command would take every trip and rank them from 1-1000 by weight. You were guaranteed if you could get some weekend time off, it would be as much as possible.

New PBS:
Someone show me the programming that would do the same thing. Really, I'd like to see this. Not just a bunch of combinations of Avoid Sat and Sun. Because the solver doesn't know the difference between flying 1 hour on a Sunday or all day Sunday.

As a PBS trainer told me when I asked him "Well you can't do that with this system"

If this system is so great they can just build an interface on top of the current one that we can actually use without Master's degrees, or spending a few hours of our life.