View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM
727C47
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: C47 PIC/747-400 SIC

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
I think there is a lot of unnecessary fear here... This is *third* class medical, relatively easy to obtain, and relatively easy to get special, as long as it is something that you honestly should not be flying.

The alternative is basically no medical examination whatsoever ("reform" buzzword should be "repeal.")

If it had no potential implication for first class medical, would you as a professional support it? I do believe that medically unfit pilots would make the airspace less safe. Most would be single pilot crashes.

Most elderly people stop driving after a very minor crash or incident. I see this all the time as a doc, usually a scrape against a mailbox or lamppost and then kids or grandkids make them turn in the keys. Who examines for license renewals in most states? Nobody. You can keep driving until something happens.

I really don't see the impetus for the third class repeal other than the self interest of aging AOPA group, of which I am a member, but do not really agree with a significant amount of their positions.
Well and cogently stated Doc. We may have some differences of opinion but you make a good argument .