Gets Weekends Off
RonRicco
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2009
  • Position
    Captain
Quote: Anybody know if Ken Watts might run for MEC president? Not impressed by John Malone's message put out yesterday. He may well be a good man for the job but people (myself included) do not want to hear anything about (D)ALPA preservation at this time. We've seen plenty of that from the entrenched folks.

The message should have read:

"Our union is F'd up. It's gone way off track with Moakism this past decade and that influence remains via ALPA national. My priority, if elected, is to bring bottom up representation to the Delta pilot group and obtain a restorative contract. To put ALPA National on notice and let them know we intend to make some major changes in the way this organization runs."

"Keep your DPA cards on file. If the conflicts with national and our inability to change from within fail, we will keep the other option open. This is a good thing, as it keeps a healthy amount of pressure on ALPA to change."

"If I am able to right the ship at DALPA, I intend fully on implementing many of the great ideas that have come out of the DPA group including their recall system, transparent finances that greatly reduce waste, video conference meetings with chat input allowing more pilots to easily get involved without flying half way across the country....anything to improve bottom up representation. The union is here for the pilots and not the other way around."

Malone should focus on what the pilots want and it is there he will find his followers. Do not spend time telling pilots not to turn DPA cards in- an action which would bring a debate to bare allowing each side to tell us why they should be our representative body.

In all due respect Captain Malone, don't get bated in by the entrenched DALPA guys trying to define where you need to stand. Just tell us how you intend to improve a worn out organization that's proven impossible to change for some time. Remember the "house cleaning" after C2012. We ended up with the same stoners as before. Tell us why and how this time would be different. Stay off the DPA topic until you can show us a true bottom up change ALPA plan first.
What is an "MEC President"? I assume you mean "chairman."

Either way, I agree with the message. If he is elected, I am sure he has plans on how to change things and accomplish the goals of the MEC, and therefor the pilots. If pilots are putting in cards for the DPA, many who have self disclosed that they would actually never vote to put the DPA in, having a representation vote/battle is going to do nothing but distract from the task at hand.